Thursday, August 9, 2012

Alur Dum with Khoya and Cumin



Years ago when I was really slim and trim gifted with a figure that drew admiration from my friends, I never gave it any value or serious thought. Instead, I used to always dream of gaining weight as I thought myself to be on skinnier side. Soon after I joined work, I started binging on fast food hungry as bear oblivious and unmindful to the results. I gained over 10 kgs over the course of few months. Then after marriage when I moved to Pune happy as lark, one day I noticed feeling pain on my knees while climbing down the stairs of our apartment. That was the first time I realized that in my attempt to get rid of skinniness I have become heavier than I planned of. This knee problem is common at my home with my mother and sister both of who are corpulent.

Now weight reduction is not as easy as gaining weight is. Especially for people fond of eating, it is distressing to avert food continually living on a meagre diet. After years of struggle with weight, finally through last few months I taste some amount of success in terms of weight loss. Earlier whenever I went on a diet, I tended to being strict with myself keeping all my favourite foods at bay and restricting myself to bland low calorie foods only. But every time within a few weeks, I used to grow weary of the self-imposed abstinence and gave up on my diet getting back to hogging more than ever.


 
I was on a lookout for some suitable alternatives which would allow me to eat my favourite foods yet would not make me suffer from guilt. As my physician says "the trick lies in moderation". Indeed, these days although I sweat off regularly in gym, I simultaneously enjoy all sorts of food that I love like cakes, pastries, ice creams and many more. But yes, when you are dieting, the best time to fulfill your desire for sweet tooth is early in the morning when your body requires a boost of sugar. You may enjoy a slice of cake or pastry in your breakfast. It will send sugar instantly to your system which would put the various mechanisms our body is consisted of into operation. Further, having food at the right time of the day is important. If you hog on a slice of the same cake and pastry at night, rest assured that the sugar and fat will deposit themselves in various corners of your body. Taking lunch within 1 o'clock and taking dinner by 8.30 to 9 o'clock at least 2-3 hours before you retire to bed is important. One more thing, eat as lightly as possible during night. Have the lunch heavy but have dinner like a pauper.


Another thing that has worked in my favour is the avoiding of junk foods and eating out in restaurants as less as possible. Homemade food is always a healthier option. You always know what exactly is going into your body and the ingredients that have been used in the preparation. Same cannot be vouched for the restaurant foods.

Our lunch today has been graced with this Alur Dum with Khoya and Cumin described below. I love potatoes but ever since I have started giving some serious consideration to weight loss, I have been trying to avoid potatoes as much as possible. Although eating one potato in a day is fine, but somehow unless a recipe really demands it or unless my hubby requests for his favourite alu dum, I give it a miss mostly. Anyway, if you have enjoyed my other alu dum recipes like Shahi Dum Alu and Kashmiri Dum Alu, I am sure this one too will win your heart.


For more such Alu Dum Recipes, click the links below:

Shahi Dum Aloo
Kashmiri Dum Aloo
Thakurbarir Alu Dum
Bengali Aloo Curry


                                 

            Ingredients:                                            Cooking time: 20-30 minutes
ü  2 large potatoes (cut into cubes of medium size)
ü  1 onion (chopped, boiled and then ground into paste)
ü  1 tsp ginger paste
ü  1 heaped tsp cumin seeds (ground into paste)
ü  2 tsp char magaz or melon seeds (ground into paste)
ü  2 tbsp cashew nuts (ground into paste)
ü  4 tbsp poppy seeds (ground into paste)
ü  3 tsp raisins
ü  3 tbsp grated khoya kheer
ü  1 tsp sugar
ü  4-5 green chillies (ground into paste)
ü  1 tsp garam masala powder
ü  White oil for cooking
Method:
1) Heat oil in a wok. Shallow fry the potatoes and keep aside. Into the same oil, add onion paste and shallow fry till dry.
2) Add cumin seeds paste, ginger paste, cashew nuts paste, charmagaz or melon seeds paste and poppy paste. Sauté for couple of minutes.
3) Add raisins and water. Add khoya kheer and combine well. Saute again for couple of minutes.
4) Slide in the fried potatoes. Season with sugar and salt. Cook covered till potatoes are tender.
5) Add a pinch of garam masala on top and mix in.
6) Garnish with green chillies. Serve hot with roti or rice.




No comments:

Post a Comment