Monday, December 31, 2012

Chicken Double Decker Sandwich



 
Yesterday we visited Toledo Zoo in the evening to view the Christmas and New Year special lightings and decor. The entire tour inside the zoo was conducted in open air and with temperature dipping below 18F, the air was so chilly only comparable to the inside temperature of a freezer. I was properly bundled up from head to toe in few layers of clothing but as if that were not sufficient enough, air penetrated through my jeans and jacket reaching my bones. It was one of the bone-rattling experiences you might say as I was chilled to the bone, hook, line and sinker and could feel my muscles getting numb. Quickly for half an hour we took shelter inside a cafe located at the zoo, and then I came out sipping hot chocolate purporting to keep my body warm. Usually, I am not the kind to drink anything bubbling hot. I usually let my drinks come down to lukewarm temperature before allowing myself the first sip. Having the centre of my tongue singed couple of times by drinking very hot tea or coffee has turned me super cautious while drinking something just out of the oven. But in a terribly cold weather, gurgling down a hot drink seemed so soothing for throat, tongue and every nerve running through my body.
 
 

After a nerve freezing walk around the zoo, my hands and legs stiff from numbness took at least an hour to restore its normalcy; it was like I was a frozen 'murgi' (chicken) thawing in normal temperature....lol


 
 
 
Ingredients :( make 4 quarter triangle sandwiches)                   Cooking time: 20 minutes
ü  6 slices of whole grain bread or white bread
ü  1 boneless chicken breast
ü  2-3 tbsp mayonnaise or more as per your craving
ü  2 lettuce leaves (blanched)
ü  1 tomato (sliced)
ü  2 square cheese slice (American cheese or whatever available in the market)
ü  3 eggs
ü  Salt to taste
ü  Black pepper, taste wise
ü  Butter, for spreading on the breads
Method:
1) First boil the chicken breast for 10 minutes in microwave or on stove top till chicken is tender. Bring it down to room temperature and using a meat pounder or the back of a ladle, pound the chicken thin and cut it to shreds.
2) Add spoonful of mayonnaise into the chicken. Season with salt and black pepper. Combine.
3) Beat eggs in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and stir in. Make a single fluffy omelet using the three 3 eggs at once or divide the eggs into 2 equal portions and make 2 omelets. When omelets are ready, cut them into halves.
 
 
4) Now is the time to arrange the sandwich in layers. First spread butter on one side of each bread slice. Then place a lettuce leaf on the base slice. Spread spoonful of chicken mixture on it, topping with one half of an omelet and 2 tomato slices. Put a bread slice on top with the butter side facing up. Spread a spoonful of chicken mixture across the bread, topping with the remaining half of the omelet, 1 cheese slice and 2 tomato slices. Cover with a bread slice.
 
 
5) Cut the sandwich into quarter triangles and stick a toothpick to hold the breads together.
6) Serve at room temperature or cold.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment