Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Doi Begun

 
 
I wonder at times how the recipe of Jhal Muri notching one of the most viewed recipes in my blog week after weeks. It makes me wonder because when I was posting the recipe, I was least expecting it to be so popular. There is an array of other innovative dishes to draw in people's attention than the ordinary Jhal Muri so casually concocted by mothers to satiate the evening hunger-pinch of their wards. Not that I mind for it being popular, but still I can't stop wondering. May be people prefer easy to do simple dishes over the garish ones.
So keeping in mind my readers' penchant for simplicity, I am posting a very traditional yet a simple breezy recipe of eggplant that can be conjured up within a jiffy. No wonder, why it's my favorite.
 
 

 
 
Ingredients:                                                     Cooking time: 30 minutes
ü  1 large size eggplant (cut into roundels)
ü  200 gm yogurt, beaten
ü  5-6 green chillies (chopped)
ü  1 tsp ginger paste
ü  1 tsp turmeric powder, plus extra for coating the eggplants
ü  1 tsp kashmiri red mirch
ü  Salt to taste
ü  2 tsp sugar
ü  1/2 tsp cumin seeds
ü  Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing (chopped)
ü  Mustard oil for cooking
Method:
1) Coat the eggplant roundels in a pinch of turmeric powder and salt. Then fry them in hot oil. Take them out on an oil absorbent paper.
2) Into the same wok, add a bit of mustard oil and when turns hot, add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds begin to crackle, add ginger paste, green chillies, turmeric powder and kashmiri red mirch. Add 2 tbsp of water and sauté the spices.
3) Next add yogurt, salt and sugar. Cook for 2 minutes until the gravy comes to a boil.
4) Toss the fried eggplants in and cook for 1 more minute. Finally garnish with coriander leaves.
5) Serve hot with steaming rice.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment