Saturday, March 9, 2013

Potato Salad


Finally spring is near. From tonight on the daylight saving starts with the clock marching forward by one hour. Hopefully, by the end of this month we will have the outset of a salubrious spring. After months of confinement in winter, I just cannot wait to feel the sun stroking my face. With spring approaching nearer, summer is not far behind. Summer is the season everyone here looks forward to, quite opposite to our trend in India where the onset of summer invites a dreadful prospect that is further aggravated by the clammy sweaty climate prevailing in most of the cities with Kolkata and Chennai topping the list in terms of the humidity going beyond the level of tolerance. It was almost customary for me to have my face dotted with heat rashes in summer. I am gifted with humongous hyperactive sweat glands that soak me up in perspiration throughout the summer months making these rashes germinate all over my face. Ugh, I hated them so much. My flight to Bangalore finally helped me spend some rash free years.
 
 
Anyway, talking about summer one of the things I used to enjoy heartily amidst the tortuosity and roughness of scorching weather in Kolkata was salad. Fresh from the fridge, the vegetables still remained cold by the time they were cut and mixed together into a refreshing salad; I just loved the cold sensation passing down my throat. My love for salad still remains strong irrespective of seasons. The potato salad below is one of my favorites. I love to luxuriate myself in its creamy richness at least once a week throwing aside all the concerns of weight check and all.
 
 

 
 
 
Ingredients:                                                  Preparation time: 10 minutes
ü  2 large potatoes (boiled and chopped into cubes)
ü  1 large carrot (peeled and julienned)
ü  1 tbsp chopped red onion
ü  1 green capsicum (chopped)
ü  4 tbsp mayonnaise
ü  2 tbsp heavy cream
ü  Salt to taste
ü  Black pepper, taste wise
ü  4 eggs (hardboiled and sliced lengthwise)
ü  Croutons
ü  1 tbsp olive oil
Method:
1) Mix in potato, capsicum, carrot and red onion. Add olive oil, black pepper and salt.
2) In a separate bowl, whip mayonnaise and heavy cream together. Pour this mixture on top of the salad. Serve garnished with croutons and eggs.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment