Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Cauliflower Paneer Potato Masala




Last few days have been quite busy for me, I couldn't manage any time out for my blog. Infact, there are dozens of recipes in the pipeline but due to time constraint, I am unable to upload them sooner. Anyway, about the following recipe, who doesn't like cauliflower!! I am yet to meet someone who doesn’t. During my childhood when I used to be a picky eater at that time too I simply drooled over cauliflower and my mother would make some nice cauliflower preparations including cauliflower pakoda, Aloo Phulkopir Dalna, Dry Cauliflower Curry and so on and so forth.
This one is, however, not my mother's recipe. I scouted the cyber world in search of good paneer recipes cooked with cauliflower as I had a huge cauliflower resting in the refrigerator for over a week, I came up with some nice paneer cauliflower concoction but none tickled my fancy. So I mixed and matched few ingredients here and there and came up with something suiting my family's taste bud. I know many people who are not fond of curry leaves, in that case drop handful of chopped coriander leaves into the curry for garnishing. The aroma would be simply invigorating!!



 
This curry, according to me, accompanies roti, naan or paratha best but yes, yes you can take it with good old rice too.

 
 
Ingredients:                                                      Cooking time: 45 minutes
ü  1 medium size cauliflower (cut into medium size florets)
ü  1 1/2 potatoes (parboiled and cut into big size cubes)
ü  250 gm paneer (diced)
ü  1 big onion (julienned)
ü  2 tomatoes and 4-5 green chillies (ground into paste)
ü  1 heaped tsp ginger-garlic paste
ü  1 tsp turmeric powder
ü  1 tsp kashmiri red mirch
ü  1 tsp cumin powder
ü  1 tsp coriander powder
ü  1 tsp garam masala powder
ü  1/2 tbsp kasuri methi
ü  Salt to taste
ü  2 tbsp sugar
ü  White oil for cooking
ü  1 tsp ghee (optional)
For sauté:
ü  1 string of curry leaves
ü  1 tsp cumin seeds
Method:
1) Heat oil in a wok. When oil turns hot, add paneer cubes and shallow fry till paneer changes color to golden brown. Keep aside on a plate.
2) Add cauliflower and shallow fry till cauliflower turns golden brown in color. Set aside.
3) Add potatoes and shallow fry till golden brown in color. Keep aside.
4) Into the same oil, add the ingredients for sauté and allow to crackle.
5) Add onion and fry until onion becomes translucent. Add ginger-garlic paste, tomato and green chilli paste followed by the spices - turmeric powder, kashmiri red mirch, cumin and coriander powder. Sauté the mixture for 5-8 minutes.
6) Slide cauliflower and potatoes back into the wok. Add salt and sugar. Cook covered until veggies are tender.
7) Toss the paneer cubes into the wok followed by garam masala powder and kasuri methi. Mix well.
8) Add ghee and cook on low heat for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and serve hot with roti or rice.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment